Friday, February 18, 2011

Resurrection

I last updated this blog a little over eight months ago.  I intended to update this blog several times during that time, but alas, a few things took precedence:  moving to Vienna, Austria with my wife, starting another blog to chronicle our life overseas, and, well, just adjusting to living abroad.  Now that we've been in Vienna for about eight months now, I figure it's about time to resurrect this blog, especially since I have at least one ultra -- and perhaps another -- slated for this summer.   I plan to take full advantage of the trail/mountain running here in Europe and this blog is the perfect forum to chronicle my observations and experiences. 

Vienna is a beautiful city and amazingly well-suited for cyclists and runners:  there are bike paths everywhere and sidewalks a plenty so running in the city isn't too unbearable, especially since the city itself is quite scenic.  As for the trail running, however, I have to venture out to the "Vienna Woods" -- the wooded area surrounding the city.  Fortunately, these woods feature well-marked trails and are relatively close to the city center (accessible via a 20-30 minute street tram ride or, obviously, by car).  The area I'm referring to is highlighted in the upper left corner of the picture.  Although these bona fide trails aren't nearly as close and accessible as the trails I used to run in Washington, DC (Rock Creek Park), I'm still psyched to run them and suspect I'll have them mapped out sooner than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment