Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Budapest Half

2011 hasn't been my best year of running.  The Vienna Marathon started out promising enough but once the short-sightedness of a decision to wear an ill-fitting minimalist shoe for the race became much more real (and painful), it then felt more like a death march to the end.  Then the onset of acute tendonitis in my lower left calf sidelined me for the latter half of June, all of July, and the first half of August resulting in my withdrawal from the Mountainman Ultra 80k in Lucerne, Switzerland in early August.  And then, in early September I ran the Budapest Half Marathon with the last-minute plan to run sub-2:00.  I've run a half marathon under two hours before and have a marathon PR of 3:39 so I was hopeful that I'd cross the finish line in under two hours even though my training had been pretty casual and eschewed any speed work.  But 'twas not to be:  I finished in 2:00:56.  I suppose I shouldn't have been too disappointed since it was unseasonably hot, the first water station was empty by the time the mid-packers arrived, and my training was lackadaisical but, alas, I was.  Since Budapest, I've been running 3-5 days per week with no goal other than to get out of the apartment, maintain some semblance of fitness, and continue to rehab my left calf.  I've started researching ultras for 2012 and have a couple in mind although nothing is definitive.  I'll update this blog once I decide on what race -- or races -- I'll run.  In the meantime, here's to a better year of running in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment