Monday, April 15, 2013

Retirement Averted: The 2013 Vienna City Half-Marathon

In the week leading up to the Vienna City Half-Marathon I was nursing a sore and tender left calf and was unsure how the half-marathon would play out.  I joked that depending on the how I felt during the race, I may (or may not) retire from running.   Up until a few days ago, I hadn't run in over a week and I was starting to worry I may have sustained a season-derailing injury.  Thus the drama and hyperbole.  (Lisa wasn't nearly as amused as I was by my repeated announcements to retire but she played along.)  

We arrived at the starting area w/ a friend of ours and his wife, relaxed for a bit, then we parted ways w/ our friend and Lisa and I made our way to the rear of the start corral.  Since I wasn't sure how I'd feel from the outset I figured I'd start conservatively then speed up, calf tightness permitting.  The first few kilometers felt good and I felt marginally confident my calf wouldn't act up so Lisa and I picked up the pace a bit.  This race is crowded and it feels even more so in the rear of the pack since a somewhat faster pace means constant slowing, accelerating, and weaving in and out of runners to avoid colliding with someone.  The throngs of runners never really spread out and 13.1 miles later, we crossed the finish line in a mediocre 2:05:21.  I feel a bit ambivalent about my time but, on the bright side, my calf didn't act up during the race and, fortunately, retirement can wait 'til another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment