Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Student Business Card with $\LaTeX$

I recently gave a poster presentation at a research conference sponsored by the university I attend and among the resources I consulted prior to attendance, many of them suggested the presenter have business cards available during the conference.  I don't have any corporate cards and my program doesn't provide cards for Ph.D. students so I decided to create my own.  There are a few services that can print cards on the cheap and ship them direct but this wasn't viable since I live overseas and I needed the cards relatively quickly.  I decided I'd create the cards myself then have 50 or so printed at a local print shop.  Enter $\LaTeX$.  (I could have, of course, used MS Word but I suspected that what would have begun as a simple exercise would have quickly morphed into a formatting nightmare.  Thanks but no thanks.)  

I used the bizcard package along with the marvosym and url packages to create a simple, crisp, and clean card containing my name, university, email address, phone number, and blog address.  Below is a fictional business card for the man behind Student's t-test, William Sealy Gosset.   

And the $\LaTeX$ code:
% %% cjt
% %% 20130410
% %% creation of example (fictional) business card using bizcard package. 


\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[frame]{bizcard}      % options are none (no marks), flat (non-invasive tick marks), and frame (fully framed cards)
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{url}

\begin{document}


\begin{bizcard}
\sffamily

\put(19,38){\makebox(50,5){\Large\bfseries William Sealy Gosset}}
\put(19,32){\makebox(50,5){\large ``Student''}}
\put(19,27){\makebox(50,5){Guinness Brewery}}
\put(19,23){\makebox(50,5){Dublin, Ireland}}
\put(7,14){\makebox(10,4)[tl]{\Letter \enspace \emph{studentst@gmail.com}}}
\put(7,10){\makebox(10,4)[tl]{\Telefon \enspace +353 012 3456789}}
\put(7,6){\makebox(10,4)[tl]{\ComputerMouse \enspace \url{http://www.guinness.com}}}

\end{bizcard}

\end{document}

No comments:

Post a Comment